The Dunn Matthews Law Firm FAQs


Visit our YouTube page for video FAQs and additional information

Consultation & Fees


I would say that the most valuable service my firm offers is the initial consultation. There is a $75 flat fee for a one hour consultation. The reason there is a charge for the consultation is because you, as a prospective client, will receive one hour of my personal undivided attention. the consultation is a time for you to ask, and have answered, any questions you may have relating to your specific issue, the court process, and anything else.

If you wish to arrange an initial consultation with Attorney Matthews, please simply call us at 770.686.3092. If you would like to contact us via the Internet, please send an email to      


How long does a divorce proceeding take?


The duration of each divorce varies. Depending on the complexity of the case and compliance of the parties involved, divorce proceedings can span anywhere from two months to more than one year.




Do I need to provide a reason for divorce?


A reason commonly cited is a marriage that is "irretrievably broken," sometimes referred to as a no-fault divorce. In this case, all attempts to reconcile differences have been unsuccessful and both parties tried separating for a time. There are 12 other grounds for divorce. Contact us today to see if your situation falls into one of the categories.



Can my spouse and I share custody?


Yes. The court can award joint custody instead of sole custody. There are two types of joint custody: (i) Joint legal custody, where both parents have equal rights and responsibilities for major decisions concerning the child; and (ii) joint physical custody, where physical custody is shared by the parents in such a way to assure the child substantially equal time and contact with both parents. In awarding joint custody, the court may order joint legal custody, joint physical custody or both. Regardless of the label, the parties should attempt to agree upon (or the court will decide) who has the right to make a decision affecting a child if the parties cannot agree.



As a grandparent do I have rights to custody or visitation of my grandchildren?


Georgia law allows grandparents to seek visitation rights with their grandchildren in any case involving custody of the grandchildren, including a divorce between a child's parents. In such cases, the court may grant visitation rights to the grandparent if the court finds by clear and convincing evidence that (1) the health and/or welfare of the children would be harmed unless the visitation was granted and (2) granting the visitation would be in the best interest of the children.





​​​​© 2018 by The Dunn Matthews Law Firm, LLC

  • Facebook Classic
  • Twitter App Icon
  • LinkedIn App Icon